Join the Fun!

Today is a new day! It is time to get away from the computer, put on those walking shoes, get out, get fit and be creative! How is walking a creative activity? Well, pick up your camera, take it with you and start clicking away! You will be amazed by all the interesting and wonderful things you will discover, on your ordinary walk, around your once familiar neighborhood.

Become a Creatively Fit Teammate!

Creatively Fit is a fitness/photography blog designed to motivate blogger/photographers to get in shape. Each day, participants from across the globe are encouraged to walk, click, and connect with others who are grabbing their walking shoes and their cameras in an effort to stay creative and fit.

The task is simple. Leave a comment on a post, stating that you would like to join, and include your email address. You will receive an invitation to join the team. The assignment:

1. Walk 30-60 minutes each day (3-5 days per week). Work within your fitness level. Set a time limit that you are comfortable with (10, 15, 20 minutes). It's all about having fun and getting moving. Creativity and Fitness are bonuses!!
2. Click - Take photos of your journey.
Everything and anything goes, but we like creativity.
3. Connect - Post your name, state or country, time of walk, and 4 or 5 photos to the Creatively Fit blog.
4. Encourage one another with your comments and posts. Comments help to motivate one another into getting out there and sharing some more!
5. That’s it!


Our goal is to motivate and inspire one another as we unite together on our journey to creative fitness!! We are so glad you stopped by!

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cindy - Florida Thursday 7:00-7:30 PM

I stumbled upon something on my walk tonight. No, it wasn't a crack in the sidewalk! Impressionist photography. The sun was setting and I couldn't, for the life of me, get a crisp picture. I went with the old adage, "If you can't beat em, join em! So I decided to go with the flow and really blur my pictures using the same method as I use for my night pictures, slow shutter speed and movement. As it turns out this is a practice that some fine artist photographers have been using. I googled impressionist photographers and found some beautiful examples. Here is one artist who uses this technique quite effectively, with beautiful results! Merrill Tritt

It all began when I was trying to photograph this tree. I wanted to show Florida's Fall tree. It has flowers the color of orange leaves. I always pretend that it is the leaves changing colors.



I like the streaks of blue sky in this one. And the flowers appearing as dots, a la Seurat!!
This one looks like a pastel, to me. Another great medium for impressionist landscapes:)
Here are a few more experiments. This reminds me of heavy oil painting brush strokes.

This looks more like an acrylic painting. Not as buttery...


And this one resembles a dry medium , like colored pencils or scratchboard, especially up in the right corner.

I have a lot more practicing to do, in order to achieve such wonderful results as Merrill Tritt. I think you may be seeing a more of this technique. I hope to get better at it.

I did manage to get a few clearer shots. This cloud collage shows this little furry monster cloud creeping up behind me. I felt it looming over my shoulder. On the way back from my walk I noticed that it had moved closer. So close that I was walking in it. It was foggy. I also included this tiny heart;) and the picture below(I liked the striped effect)
As a painter, it is fun to use my camera as a paintbrush. No mess!!
Did you discover anything new on your walk today?

3 comments:

Paula said...

Cindy, I simply LOVE this pix. In German we would call them "wishy-washy" as it is "blurry" I love them, the tree is amazing the color like a cry of nature. Particularly nice as I am watching snowflakes aplenty. 6 weeks to early.

Julie Ball said...

Very, very cool! I have been having a lot of trouble getting clear photos lately, with so many cloudy, rainy days, and with the sun setting earlier and earlier. I will have to try this sometime! I love your painter's perspective on things! :)

Merrill said...

Cindy, thanks so much for the link and the compliments. Glad you enjoy my work.

Here are a few tips: If you want to get longer exposures, even during the daytime, you will need to get a set of neutral density filters for your camera. I prefer Cokin-type filters (though not Cokin filters themselves). These will reduce the amount of light coming into the lens and will allow you to keep the shutter open longer. Also, stay away from bright areas as those will burn in too quickly and remove content from the image. Start on the darker part of the subject first and if you want to bring in some bright highlights, save that for the last remaining moments of the exposure.

You have a really nice site. Keep up the great work.

Merrill